Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Twenty Years ago today...

You may remember a few weeks ago in a post titled My own Mt. Everest, I wrote about my friend and spiritual mentor Garry who inspired me to trek to Everest Base camp.

Well today marked 20 years since his adventure and he sent me this amazing email. I asked Garry if I could dedicate today's post to him and his achievement, to which he replied "I would be honoured, my fellow adventurer".

So without further ado, I introduce you to my amazing and wonderful friend Garry. I trust he will inspire you as he did me.

Until tomorrow, let the spirit of others touch you so that you may also reach great heights.

Grace xx


Twenty Years ago today... (by Garry Benson)

20 Years ago today I set off with the lovely Val to trek to Everest Base Camp via the wonderful Arun Valley in Nepal. We were one of the first groups to go via this route, and 35 days later and 5500 metres higher we reached Thengboche monastery, where I decided to become a practising Buddhist!



Back then I was fit & still had hair to spare!


Thengboche monastery- the first sight was of Mt Everest when we woke every morning. The monastery had burnt down several years before and was being rebuilt. Volunteers included Peter Hilary, son of Sir Edmund whom we later met & ate with a couple of times.


At Thengboche monastery we met the abbot and were blessed. The monks & nuns were wonderful, looking after me when I had a dose of altitude sickness. So dare to dream and carpe diem - seize the day!

'I have spread my dreams under your feet;
        Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.'
                                                                W.B. Yeats

______________________________________________

Thank you Garry, you never cease to inspire and enlighten me my friend xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...